Baking Tips

Before I begin I just want to say a big thankyou to all of you that have started to follow me. I've been really busy and haven't been able to try out any new recipes, but I thought some baking tips could really come in handy. Also, today I made some adorable baby cupcakes I thought you'd all appreciate seeing some pretty pictures! I used the "feather light patty cake" recipe.

Baking Tips

1. Unless specificed, ingredients for baking are best used at room temperature. This is particularly important for eggs.
2. Unless specified, when recipes call for sugar I use white or caster sugar. Raw sugar is too granulated for my liking
3. Always read through the full recipe before commencing to ensure you have all the ingredients and know whether you have to prepare or reserve certain ingredients for later in the recipe
4. Always test your cakes with a skewer to ensure its cooked properly all the way through
5. For a lighter cake, seperate your eggs. Add the yolks to your butter mixture and then fold the egg whites into the batter (when there's flour)
6. Toss your nuts or dried fruit lightly in flour before putting them into your batter. This will help them not to sink to the bottom when cooking
7. When cooking cakes or pies with fruit on the top, sprinkle some lemon on the top to prevent burnt fruit topping.
8. Never use a cheap cocoa (like hot chocolate), the richer your cocoa the better your cake (eg. belguim cocoa is great)
9. I always like to add an extra 1/2 tsp to my recipes if they call for vanilla. The more vanilla, the better (perhaps this is due to my love for French desserts?)
10. You'll know the cake will turn out moist if your recipe has oil in it. When baking fruity cakes, such as a carrot cake or zucchini loaf, look for recipes that incorporate vegetable oil. They'll always be nicer this way.

Comments

  1. I happened upon your lovely baking blog and am most thankful I did!
    I love your choice of recipes and how easy they are to make.
    I shall be adapting many of the desserts for a Fourth of July grill out.
    Again, love your blog and your talent for baking, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips here, thanks for taking the time to post them.
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your tips on quiche tartlettes - they looked and tasted fantastik !! cooked them for just over 15mins -that was long enough. Let me know when you bake your french fruit tartlettes-that's going to be my next challenge- they look so... scrummy in the Parisian patisseries - I would love to be able to make them look that classy
    Happy Cooking
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't bake nearly as often as I used to when my daughters were home, but I do enjoy having a good cake once in a while or reading recipes and seeing quality pictures like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great tips! :D I love to bake so the list you made would definitely help me the next time i make something!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent tips! These would take people years to find out if they had to do it on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. play bazaar Food and dinner can make you best tip, kirana beverages are helping to Pepsicosatta king Thanked good wealth.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment